These are some of my favorite sources for health information, healthy living tips and ways to save money on healthcare. Be informed, stay healthy and save money!
General Health Advice
- The Mayo Clinic: Patient Care and Health Information
- Family Doctor: Health information for the whole family
Evidence-Based Health Care
- Choosing Wisely
- United States Preventive Services Task Force
- The Cochrane Library
- The Lown Institute
Nutrition & Healthy Eating
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC): Healthy Eating for a Healthy Weight
- The Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics: Eat Right
- United States Department of Agriculture: Nutrition Information for You
- Self Nutrition Data: Know What You Eat
Shared Decision Making
- The Informed Medical Decisions Foundation
- The Mayo Clinic Shared Decision Making National Resource Center
- The Dartmouth-Hitchcock Center for Shared Decision Making
- The Society for Participatory Medicine
- The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
Choosing a Hospital – Online Tools
- Commonwealth Fund Why Not The Best?
- Medicare Hospital Compare
- The Leapfrog Group Hospital Safety Score
- Consumer Reports Hospital Ratings
- The Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Hospitals Quality Check
Choosing a Physician or Dentist – Online Tools
- American Medical Association (AMA) Doctor Finder
- Medicare Physician Compare
- Federation of State Medical Boards
- State Dental Boards
- American Board of Medical Specialties Certification Matters
- Find a Doctor: Healthline
- Find a Dentist: American Dental Association
Drug Information and Safety
- Informulary: DrugFactsBox Consumer
- Worst Pills, Best Pills
- MedWatch: The FDA Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program
- Pill Identifier: Healthline
Supplement Information and Safety
- Consumer Lab
- National Institutes of Health Herbs at a Glance
- MedlinePlus Herbs and Supplements Information
- FDA Dietary Supplements Consumer Information
Children’s Health and Safety
- The American Academy of Pediatrics: Healthy Children
- The Centers for Disease Control (CDC): BAM! Body & Mind
- National Capitol Poison Center
Vaccination Safety and Information
- The Centers for Disease Control (CDC): Vaccines and Immunizations
- The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia: Vaccine Education Center
- The Best Shot Foundation: Shot of Prevention
- The Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System
- National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program
- Vaccine Information: Healthline
Health Care Price Compare Tools
Prescription Drug Price Compare Tools
Direct-to-Consumer Online Labs
- Patients Beyond Borders
- Medical Tourism Association
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Medical Tourism
End-of-Life Decision Making
Blogs/Vlogs I like
- Science-Based Medicine: It’s all about the evidence!
- Common Sense Family Doctor: Dr. Kenny Lin brings his common sense to health care.
- Red Wine and Applesauce: Health and science news for parents.
- Health News Watchdog: Keeping the media honest when reporting health-related stories.
- Healthcare Triage: A great video series on YouTube that answers questions about medicine, health and healthcare.
- Dr. Grumpy in the House: Just because he’s funny 😀
- Wielding the Lasso of Truth: Wonderwoman gynecologist Jen Gunter helps women by exposing the pseudoscience behind many celebrity “health” fads.
- Physical Therapy Video: The Most Famous Physical Therapists Bob and Brad offer information and exercises to avoid injury and improve posture.